“This horse can see into my soul!” Hannah.
The Academy at Sisters developed the equine program to help students understand the immediate effect of their behavior. The students are coached on how to create a relationship with the horses that is based in mutual respect and healthy communication that is mostly nonverbal. In order to achieve these relationship goals they learn to show up authentically and interact intentionally.
Adolescence is a time where youth are learning who they are, what they value and who they want to be. With the social pressures our kids face today through the barrage of noise and chatter from social media, movies, social pressures and expectations, peer groups, etc. they become confused about who they are. They are encouraged to fit in, look and dress a particular way, say the right things, go along with the group, be polite instead of strong, to follow vs. lead.
By teaching kids how to understand and navigate the quiet world of equine communication, we can empower them to awaken the deep parts of themselves they have learned to ignore and empower the parts they have yet to develop. The Academy at Sisters strives to send the youth we work with into the world prepared and ready to use the skills they have learned to be authentic. Our equine partners help with this journey.
Benefits of Holistic Horsemanship Programs:
- Provides insight as to how their own behaviors can affect others around them
- Works in a trauma informed lens for youth and the horse
- Provides honest and direct feedback
- Addresses every learning style
- Offers real-time opportunities to practice and master skills
- Develops non-verbal and verbal communication skills
- Offers non-coercive connections with the horses
- Develops self-advocacy, self-reliance, and self-awareness
- Teaches problem solving skills and responsibility
- Teaches Emotion Regulation/Distress tolerance
- Cultivates healthy relationships, develops empathy and an understanding of their own emotions
- Develops Risk Assessment skills
- Offers an opportunity to practice and incorporate DBT and other coping skills
- Helps students Master Mindfulness
- Reduce the negative impacts of early childhood trauma